This award recognises Ms. Mizzi’s leadership, devotion and great capability to take into account the point of view of all stakeholders through a broad consultation. In her work in the European Parliament, MEP Mizzi has proposed constructive, proportionate and reasonable suggestions to help shape and modernise the European Standardisation System.
Back in July 2017, the European Parliament approved Ms. Mizzi’s report on 'European standards for the 21st century'.The report reflects the core value of the European Standardisation System such as:
- Standards are recognized as a valuable voluntary, market-driven tool, which should not be seen as EU law;
- Contribution of European Standards in preventing market fragmentation and reducing administrative burdens for all businesses and for SMEs in particular;
- Importance of striking the right balance between timely and high quality standards;
- National delegation principle as fundamental for the European system
- Invitation to the European Commission to investigate and address the reasons for non-citation of European standards in the OJEU.